Dance Block makes thousands of hours of affordable rehearsal space available annually to 500+ dance artists. Participants are racially and ethnically diverse, and work in a broad range of dance genres, from modern to hip hop to tap. Through collaborating with five local studio spaces, FABnyc has been able to craft a collective program offering workspace to dance artists at $10/hour, nurturing new creative work, and keeping the East Village/Lower East Side an important center of artistic activity.
The Dance Block program is open to all choreographers or dance companies rehearsing new or repertory works which are not a part of commercial production.
* PLEASE NOTE that IATI and Teatro Circulo currently have a work zone at the entrance to their building because of construction on the building facade. There is no danger to folks entering or leaving but we’ve decided it’s best to have a FAB staff member escort you in and out through the work area.
Please have all participants in your rehearsal arrive at the same time and meet at the Downtown Art building – 70 East 4th St, 1st floor. We will escort you to your studio.
* Downtown Art’s Theater as a Studio: The top 2 floors of the building are currently under construction. Due to this the office staff from Downtown Art will be working in the lobby adjacent to the theater. Please be aware that we ask to be respectful of volume upon arrival and during rehearsal.
Minimum 2 hour rental
Morning Rental Blocks: 10am-12pm or 10am-1pm
— all morning rentals must start at 10am
Afternoon Rental Blocks: 2pm-4pm or 2pm-5pm
— all afternoon rentals must start at 2pm
Tuesday 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Wednesday 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Thursday 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Registration and Booking
To register and begin booking rehearsal space, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following information and answers:
- First Name and Last Name.
- Email Address.
- How will you be using the space?
- Are you are currently an enrolled student at a school or university?
- Are you are 18 years of age or older?
- Are you are rehearsing for your own independent project? If not what are you rehearsing for?
Your email must include answers to all six points. Once you send your email please allow 48 hours to process. Our staff will email you back with information about what spaces you are eligible for and a link to sign a contract online. After you submit your contract, please allow another 48 hours to process. We will get back to you with a link to our online booking portal and instructions about how to book space.
FAB may require proof of full vaccination for individuals 5+.
Upon arrival at 70 E 4th, FAB staff may check proof of vaccination of all dancers who will be a part of the rehearsal. Proof can be via the NYC Excelsior Pass or physical copy of vaccination card (ID required to verify).
Late dancers will first need to check in at 70 E. 4th Street to verify proof of vaccination and will then be escorted to their rehearsal studios.
Masks/ face coverings are optional in all spaces, unless stated otherwise by Dance Block representative upon arrival.
FAB’s COVID-19 Vaccine Policy is subject to change based on changes in City, State, or Federal law; updates to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) or World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines; or changes in other Dance Block policies.
Guidelines, Policies, and FAQs
Your subsidized hourly rate was supported in part by Dance/NYC. Please take a moment to fill out their survey!
Dance Block is a subsidized space rental program for dance from FABnyc. This program is made possible with generous support from The Mertz Gilmore Foundation, New York State Council on the Arts, Con Edison, Dance/NYC, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs with participation from The City Council.