Dance Block aims to build a network of dance makers who are connected through their creative use of studio spaces and fueled by the collective energy of the local arts district.
Dance Block rentals are open to non-commercial choreographers or dance companies rehearsing new or repertory works. Dance artists and groups in search of low cost rehearsal space should fill out the form below to find out if they qualify for FAB’s Dance Block Program, now renting space for the subsidized rate of $10/hour.
October 2018 Dance Block Hours
Monday 10am – 5pm
Tuesday 9am – 5pm
Wednesday 9am – 5pm
Thursday 10am – 6pm
Friday 10am – 6pm
Sunday 10am – 6pm
Guidelines & Policy
All Dance Block space is made available to individual dancers, choreographers or non-profit dance companies who are doing non-commercial work, in the process of creating or rehearsing new or repertory works for $10 per hour.
These spaces may NOT be used for theater, performance art, auditions, classes, workshops, or public performances. Open rehearsals are approved on a case-by-case basis and must be cleared with a Dance Block Staff member a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the rehearsal.
Please note that currently enrolled students who receive institutional support are not eligible for Dance Block. We also cannot host dancers who are 18 years or under for liability purposes.
Payment for rehearsals is made through our online booking system after filling out the form and being approved by the program. After you have been approved you will be asked to fill out a survey and contract that includes credit card information.
- All rehearsals must begin and end on time, no exceptions, as rehearsals are often booked back to back.
- Lateness policy
- Renters who arrive any later than 10 minutes after their scheduled rehearsal time will be marked as a late
- Renters arriving late are required to contact our office phone 646-864-1209
- Three latenesses without communication will result in a strike
- Five latenesses with communication will result in a strike
- All latenesses are renewed at the end of the calendar year
- Cancellation policy: Renters who cancel within 72 hours of their scheduled rehearsal are not eligible for a refund.
- Dance Block books on the hour, not the half hour.
- Outdoor shoes are not permitted on studio floors.
- No food or beverages other than water in plastic or unbreakable bottles are allowed in the studios.
- No smoking or alcohol allowed on premises.
- No burning of candles, incense, or other use of fire or smoke indoors
- No spiked heels, tap shoes or Flamenco heels are allowed in any studio (with the exception of Rod Rogers).
- No animals allowed except for service animals.
- Renters must leave the studio in the same condition as they entered it: Discard all trash, recyclables, close windows, turn off the lights, and turn off air conditioning and heaters, if applicable.
- Dance Block rentals include access to spaces and restrooms but do not include access to studio equipment such as barres, music stands, exercise equipment, or shower facilities
- Additional policies may apply to individuals spaces. The renter will be provided this information upon first renting space with Dance Block.
To begin booking with Dance Block please send an email to email@example.com that includes the following information and answers:
- First Name and Last Name.
- Email Address.
- What you need the space for.
- Are you are currently an enrolled student at a school or university?
- Are you are 18 years of age or older?
- Are you are rehearsing for your own independent project? If not what are you rehearsing for?
Your email must include answers to all six points. Once you send your email please allow 48 hours to process. Our staff will email you back with information about what spaces you are eligible for and a link to sign a contract online. After you submit your contract please allow another 48 hours to process. We will get back to you with a link to our online booking portal and instructions about how to book space.
Dance Block is a subsidized space rental program for dance from FABnyc. This program is made possible with generous support from The Mertz Gilmore Foundation, New York State Council on the Arts, Con Edison, The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs with participation from The City Council.