From mid 2020 to the end of 2022, FAB was one of a handful of NYC nonprofit groups supported through ‘Neighborhoods Now’, an innovative response to the pandemic created by the Urban Design Forum and Van Alen Institute.
Through ‘Neighborhoods Now’ FAB received pro bono support from leading design firms as well as cash grants to support implementation. Our design partners included DLR Group, Marvel, Smart Design, Buro Happold, and Pentagram.
Highlights from the project included
- Creation of FAB’s 20/20 Vision Plan for activating LES public spaces in ways that expands cultural equity,
- Interventions to assist a dozen FAB member groups adapt their spaces for new COVID realities
- Design and build of the FABmobile, a green mobile public art station
- Design for a ‘Casita’ programming hub on the Avenue B Open Street
- New graphic design identity for Open Arts LES – FAB’s outdoor public space programs
- Visions and cost estimates for the Stanton Building in SDR Park currently being used as storage
- Community engagement to prepare for a new art installation honoring an unmarked African burial ground
Check out this summary presentation of FAB’s most recent work and 5 minute video of the program (with FAB spotlighted at the end.)