The building at 62 East 4th Street was built as a social hall in 1889. It hosted meetings by John Philip Sousa as he established the first musicians union in NYC as well as the early ILGWU (International Ladies Garment Workers Union) organizational meetings. East 4th Street was at the center of social activism at the turn of the century.
In the 1930’s, the ballroom where these meetings were held was converted into a theater which continues in operation. A stage and proscenium were added, the murals from the original construction remained. It was used by many Yiddish theater companies of the time, it housed a television studio where many early TV shows were filmed.
In 1969, Andy Warhol rented the 150 seat Fortune Theater(as it was called then) at 62 East Fourth Street, with Gerard Malanga as manager,
Duo Multicultural Arts Center (DMAC) offers residencies and felowships through an open submission policy. To apply, fill out a general inquiry form along with a detailed email to Michelangelo Alasa, firstname.lastname@example.org. DMAC offers a 74 seat theater space for rental bookings located in the center of the East Village Cultural District.
For more information on programs and opportunities, visit their website.